My dear friend Deana has been looking tirelessly for a buffet to go in her breakfast room. She found this gem on craigslist finally and sent me an inspiration picture of what she wanted it to look like. She was … Continue reading
When we were kids, my mom would let us make Rosettes about once a winter during a long, cold, football-filled Sunday. They are pretty messy, very delicious, and a family tradition. The magazine that my mom saved this recipe out … Continue reading
My sweet friend Katie H. asked me if I would transform a beautiful armoire belonging to her mother, Gail. Gail was looking for a piece that she could place outdoors under her covered patio where she could store things, such … Continue reading
Chicken and Avocado and Girls, Oh My!.
Had an amazing weekend full of girls and good food and sun and water and and laughing till you pee moments. Fortunately, we had our own lifeguard at the pool! 😉 This green and white “bowl” slide might have had something to do with laughing till you pee. Oh my.
My sister brought her three girls to meet Hendrik and enjoy the final pool days of summer. We lathered them all up with sunscreen and swam until we were hungry enough to cook. The centerpiece of the weekend turned out to be a giant batch of Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas in Creamy Avocado Sauce which we found here (http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/09/chicken-and-avocado-enchiladas-in.html.)
The recipe calls for 4 cups of shredded chicken, which certainly would have served more than 4, but we doubled and had lots leftover. Kristin made the shredded chicken extra yummy by cooking it in the slow cooker while we were at the pool. She added 1 beer, some cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and the juice of a lime. It was fork-shredded to perfection! I had fun trying to make the sauce in a food processor that wasn’t big enough for all of the ingredients. I just kept pouring between bowls and the processing bowl. What a mess! A delicious, green, mexi-mess!
Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 2 avocados
- 1 jalapeno, coarsely chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 8 (7 inch) tortillas
- Puree the chicken broth, salsa verde, sour cream, avocados, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper, cilantro and lime juice in a blender or food processor.
- Mix the half of the sauce with the chicken, avocado, green onions and half of the cheese.
- Coat the bottom of a large baking dish with some of the sauce, wrap the chicken and avocado mixture in the tortillas and place them in the dish.
- Top the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and cheese and bake in a preheated 350F oven until the cheese has melted and the sides are bubbling, about 15-20 minutes.